Sunday, August 10, 2008

SFM


What is SFM you ask? Well I'll tell you...it stands for Stupid Farmers Market. My mother and I signed up for it three years ago and we are still kicking. Since my mother was having a hard time getting around and she loves to do all kinds of crafts I thought this was something we both could enjoy. That was three years ago. It is now where I go to see and be seen. Its where all gossip is caught up upon and gossip is spread about you no doubt. Its a place I go to every Saturday morning to unload heavy things then reload heavy things...oh did I mention it is so much fun?



The above picture is taken of Dale and Sherrie Shumway. They do rock carvings that look like the arches you find naturally in the huge cliffs and rocks that surround us. We have over 100 arches alone in San Juan County. In Moab, where Jess use to live, there is an entire State Park that stretches miles full of these natural wonders and people from all over the world come to see them. Its really worth seeing in ones life time. These two people are just two of many wonderful people I have come to know since I have moved here. There are so many good people that would drop everything at a moments notice to help with anything.


There are also other kinds of people (whom shall remain nameless to protect me)...did I mention this is a very, very small town? Not that my blog is any one's top priority but you never know....these people may have spies.


For instance, I take nature photographs (something I'll share in another post) and I decided to make them into cards for the tourists (we set up at the visitor's center). A nameless person, a God fearing woman, decided her cards were better and had no problems coming over to our table, dragging these poor souls away, while explaining how much better her printer was and how they had archaeological experience so that's why her cards were not only much better quality but more expensive. I was astounded. I have never seen free enterprise at this level. I just wanted to sell some @&%^ cards for a DOLLAR. wow!!!


This is my mother and I. We probably spend more than we sell. But the whole idea behind this Farmers Market is handcrafted items only plus produce. I was too lazy to pick my produce this week so instead I sipped my iced latte and relaxed












David often stops by because whether he wants to admit it or not he LOVES hearing the goings on in this town. There are two sources....the farmers market and the hair dressers (like in Steel Magnolias). Somehow this year my mother got elected as president which means she is a figure head while I run around and "get 'er done". Its added a whole new spin on this lovely Saturday morning tradition. David finds all of this extremely amusing and I get absolutely no sympathy.
What I love is when I am setting the damn thing up and I get "advise" from all the other participants like I'm a moron. I want to scream I WENT TO COLLEGE but for the sake of all concerned I bite my tongue and sip my latte. But seriously...the creativity of these people is unbelievable. This what we all work for. We spend out winters trying to come up with ideas no one has to out do each other come June. Yes....it runs from June through October. That is why I spent all summer swatting gnats to grow vegetables to sell at the farmers market.
Whenever I get fed up with the shenanigans of all these personalities I look over and see that face...my beautiful mothers face and I realize it is all worth it. And I can bitch and moan about some individuals but if I come (like for example when I had a tooth abscess) everyone, I mean everyone cares and offers ideas for home remedy's. Plus there is such satisfaction in selling something that you and you alone created with your own bare hands.
My blog has been laying the ground work for all my little stories. So in future when I mention SFM we all will know what I'm talking about. Its like the first few chapters of a book where you become acquainted with the characters and their stories. I wish I could get into more specifics...because I have got some specifics but at least you have some idea of what I do.
I appreciate you sharing my life with me. i miss my friends and family. I needed a way to stay connected to all of those I love that I left behind in Virginia and California. Life has become "moore fun" since I began this blog and I look forward to sharing many more events. I plan on doing a town tour and just the little quirky events that I seem to trip over on a daily basis.
Would love to hear what you y'all think.
Love Lisa
































































No comments: