Saturday, August 16, 2008

Prue's pedicure


Today was a big day down at the Moore Ranch. First, we introduced Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls and I have to say they are a HUGE hit. I love it when Elliot is trying to get one and it swings back and smacks him in the face. He just takes off running and asks questions later.
Dave, by the way built this shelter for them which they avoided like it meant certain death all winter. The baby spent the winter at a trainers to get weaned and learn some much needed manners and she spent the winter in a barn so until she showed them it was not certain death it was rather pointless. Luckily they have embraced it (an even ate some of it) since.

Speaking of...this is our beautiful Penny Lane. My daughter is a huge Beatles fan so when she was born on Earth Day April 22, 2007 she named her Penny Lane. Notice the wood in the background. Wood is a chew toy...hence Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls. She is truly beautiful and such a joy. Her manners are coming along and she is going to make a fine trail horse one day. Until then her and David share a special bond that usually results in him repairing something.




This is my little prince. His name is Elliot's Paper Son named after my favorite band and its singer Joe Elliott from Def Leppard. He can do no wrong as far as I am concerned. I cannot tell you the love and joy this guy has given me. Now my horses were in rather dubious shape when they arrived and it took patience, lots of food and vitamins and lots of love and its paid off. He follows me where ever I go and he adores me and the feeling is mutual. However, these horses have become some of the biggest in the area. My husband loves to comment on that because I always call them my "wee ones". How can you not love that face. Whenever I get down or feel stressed I just go and sit down at my little ranch and this peace just washes over me. This has been my dream since I was 2 years old. David finally made it happen when I turned 40.


This is Prudence. When I struggled with sadness when I was in Virginia Jessie played me the Beatles song "Dear Prudence". It just seemed fitting that I should name her that. She is also Penny Lane's Mama and Elliot's full sister. She is Queen Bee and no one messes with her and shes also the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Where it took Elliot over 2 and a half hours to get his feet done she just took it like a lady that she is. Isn't she gorgeous? That's also Daddy's little girl (David).
This is Rick Winsor. You see our normal Farrier broke his leg and so we found Rick through our vet. He is the kindest, most patient man when it comes to horses and their greenhorn owners. How these men do this day in and day out I have no idea but its back breaking work and basically you are wrestling around with an animal that has the capacity to stomp you into the ground but luckily my horses love him.

You see that hat he is wearing? well many times Prue just didn't think he needed it, and she loved licking his head but he hung in there. What a pro.







This requires removing shoes and nails from four hooves, clipping then filing four hooves, making sure all hooves are even then shaping the shoes to fit each hoof then the nailing begins. It takes patience and skill. I am so grateful we found him...AND he is our neighbor!! Good to know.





This is Prue saying "Are we done yet?"
Nope...now I wanted a lesson for David. We learned so much useful groundwork today....the theory is its better to work out the kinks while you are on the ground rather than on top of a huge horse. I can definitely see the merit to that. So after an hour of ground work we then learned how to hook up her brand new hackamore and learned how to deal with the saddle a dear friend Preston Grover lent us.
As you can see David paid attention. Doesn't he look like a regular cowboy? He was so excited to finally figure out how to ride these horses. Its been so hard to get help or advice and even though we read books and watch horse clinics on TV its way different seeing how its done with your own horse. I really believe we are starting a new chapter of major riding in our future. I could cry because this is all I have wanted since I first rode my Shetland Pony, Nutkin, when I was two. This dream is everything to me.
So tomorrow David and I are going on our first ride together and we both can hardly wait. We have paid our dues and I'm sure there will be many a blog post with all of our new adventures...the good, the bad and the ugly.
The Dalai Lama says:
The true test of honoring Buddhas or God is the love your extend to your fellow humans.
Love Lisa

No comments: