Friday, August 15, 2008

My Flowers

One of my hobbies I decided upon, finding myself unemployed or retired as I like to see it, was gardening. Maybe it was something I picked up from my father but I just love it. For Easter I told everyone I just wanted seeds, bulbs, buckets and gardening tools and that's exactly what I got. I lovingly planted the seeds and bulbs. But I should've drawn a map as to where I put things because then I just forgot and I believe I planted things on top of things...and well lesson learned. Moving on....here is the result of my labor.




This is a poppy....I LOVE POPPIES and they came out quite beautiful.




I planted a number of Stargazer Lillie's in honor of my daughter because they are her favorite.

















They are so cool and I just cannot believe I pulled it off



















That was already there so I can't take the credit but its still gorgeous

One of the flowers that just says summer and sunshine and all things wonderful are sunflowers. I got Mammoth Sunflower seeds and they weren't kidding. They are now way over the fence. I will let them mature then during the winter you just set the heads out and let the birds eat from them.







These are California poppies which have a special significance to me and then there are sweet peas. I wanted to plant sweet peas in honor of my Dad's cousin George and his wife Donna Jones. They lost one of their precious children at the age of 12 due to a heart condition. I can see it in Donna's eyes....you never get over something like that. Amy was her name and her favorite flower was the sweet pea. They are all different colors and they are so beautiful.











This is my butterfly garden. I just spread the seeds willy nilly and darn if those butterflies don't just swarm around that area.
















This is Little Girl (a story for another post) but she is a lioness in the jungle amongst poppies and columbine and painted daisies.









The amazing thing is is they are sprouted and grew. Yes I'm a biologist but my concentration was in animal biology especially animal behavior. However plant anatomy was a required course so thank you Dr. Bankes...I guess I really did pay attention in class. I have found so much joy in making my garden grow and to have all these beautiful flowers poke up their little faces at me. It just shows a little love, sunshine and water and a big dose of God's miracle work can create something so wonderful. I start every morning by watering the garden and end every evening watering my garden. Even my father is proud and our gardens have brought he and I so much closer together. I thank God every day I made the decision to move here to not only help but to get to know my dad. He and I have had our problems and I think I have finally made him proud. With him being so sick everyday is a gift that I spend with him and I am so fortunate that we are okay. I think I am the only one he trusts to mess around in his garden and that garden is something to behold. I will take pictures so that you may share in his little desert oasis.

The Dalai Lama says:

The aim of all Buddhists must be to empty themselves of greed and grasping desire, the root of all suffering.















































































































No comments: