Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Peace Tree

Sorry I have been out of touch for a couple of days. I have been very busy. I got my My Space account set up then I had to do a Facebook account and I've been busy bumping into old friends online. It actually has been so much fun. Its wonderful knowing people have thought of you like you have thought of them. I wasn't forgotten. Its funny....I thought of myself as such a geek. Hardly noticeable, flying below the radar, etc... and come to find out I wasn't invisible. It has been a big help at this time in my life. I don't know why talking to people that I grew up is so healing but these people are my age and yet when I talk to them its as if we are timeless.....age doesn't matter. We all look good, those wonderful faces I have thought of with just a few more character lines that hints at their life story. The unexpected happened though. I ran into old friends from my years in Greece but I reconnected with alot of people I have missed dearly in Virginia. I am in this little tiny town in the middle of NO WHERE and yet I feel less isolated than I have in years. How isolated you ask?? Isolated!!!! The nearest Walmart is and hour and a half away. So we drive to Cortez, Co once every few weeks to do big shopping trips. To get there you drive or fly then drive along ways. From Virginia I would fly to Denver, CO. then get on one of those little puddle hopper to fly to either Durango, Co. or Farmington, NM. Now both flights have to fly (rather low) over the Rockies. No matter what the whole world is doing there is always turbulence. White knuckle turbulence. Good times!! Usually we see some kind of important looking fluid streaming from one wing or the other but so far we have always gotten there. But are you there? Really? No...from Farmington, NM its is two and a half hours to home through Rez country or if we land in Durange its almost three hours home but Durango is beautiful and the drive home is gorgeous.

You see...I literally live 30 mins. from Four Corners so you start thinking NM, AZ and CO are just part of your home territory but laws vary so it makes it interesting.

Okay so for The Peace Tree. We have a website:

We are a three store chain. The first was built in Moab by my friend Karen Whipple. Here I am with her right now. Would you look at these italics....? I mustive pushed a button and darn if I can get thit to stop. I assure you I have invested some considerable time trying to get things back to normal but I digress......

Okay so the Moab store 10 years ago. Seven years she built her second store in Monticello and last May she opened her store in Blanding. You have to understand....this is ranch and cattle country...meat and potatos. And lets not forget there are mostly Mormons around here. Suck things like coffee and other such nonsense is not really accepted. Her juice cafe is an expresso bar.

But she has kicked butt!! All her food is organic, fresh carrot juice with wheatgrass and ginger....mmmmm....sounds good...yes...we have tofu, hummus, blue corn chips, organic fruit smoothies, the most delicious hot chocolate from the Aztecs in Mexico made with chilis!!

Karen takes on the downtrodden, societies outcasts and always gives everyopne second, third chances. Shes been there done that so you won't find any judgement coming from her.




This is my sweetie Morgan. She is absolutely precious and a sweet heart and the hardest working girl I know. She just finished her GED and in October she is off to college to become a Vet Tech. I am so proud of her and I know she will be perfect for that job.




And here is my precious Kenzie. A pistol and reminds me of Jessie so much but I just love her.



She was actually one of my students then she moved to England for 2 and a half years. She just moved back a few months ago.



Here is Morgan making one of her famous wraps or paninis












This is me and Ruby. Ruby is our juicer and shes a monster, tempermental and we all love her.









And her are a few pictures of Dawnan another girl that I work with and some other fun pics.




Dawnan







The gruesome twosome, smokin sisters, Kenzi and Morgan
"If you contribute to other people's happiness you will find the true meaning of life. The key point is to have a genuine sense of universal responsibility".
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama



















No comments: